Applications and Implications Develop a project plan
what will it do?
I will build a remote driven dog harnest. The harnest translate remote commands into haptic feedback. Additionally the harnest has a magazine based dispenser for dog food rewards. The commands are submitted by an iOS application.
who has done what beforehand?
In my research I only found dog collars, that punish dogs by electric shocks and citrus spray into their face. This is exactly the opposite of what I want to do in this project. This collars are controlled by bark noise detection of by an R/F remote controller.
This project deals with positive manipulation and rewards instead of punishment.There was no similar project I found on the web.
what materials and components will be required?
All the parts of the project are based on assignments I've done in the fabacademy. They are mostly improved versions of the parts I created here.
- Mounting plate that I created in the composite week
- Electronic I created in the output week (FloKit)
- Remote controller app I created in the networking week
where will they come from?
- Battery to power the electronic from amazon
- Bearings form ebay
- Mechanics is produced on the 3D printer in out FabLab
- Electronics: selfmade, components from farnell, mouser, etc.
how much will it cost?
- 15$ Batteries + Battery holder
- 6$ Serial bluetooth module
- 10$ PCB parts + ATmega328 microcontroller
- 5$ motor driver breakout board
- 8$ neodym magnets
- 3$ rubber band
- 15$ 1liter resin (can be used for multiple saddles)
- 10$ 3D print parts
- 3$ bearings
- A total of round about 75$
what parts and systems will be made?
The final project will be consist of multiple parts an systems.
- Custom make microcontroller using the ATmega328
- Bluetooth low energy module for communication
- Motor driver board to drive the vibration motor and the feeder motor
- A custom made feeder from 3D printer parts
- A harness to mount everything
- Battery pack for the energy
- Custom made electronic mount to host the battery and electronics
- iOS application to communicate with the BLE module
what processes will be used?
- Electronic development in eagle
- Mobile application development in xCode
- LPKF-Mill for the electronics
- Composite casting for the ergonomic mount
what tasks need to be completed?
- Design the harness
- Develop the iOS app/li>
- Print all the parts
- Cast the saddle to mount everything
- Develop the microcontroller code for controlling the harness and receive the communications over BLE
what questions need to be answered?
Is it possible to build the project small enough that everything can be carried by the dog comfortable. Also we have to find out if the dog will be able to use this harness and will understand what she has to to when the harness is vibrating.Y
what is the schedule?
Due to my visit at the Fab13 my deadline is the 9.7
- 1.6. - 11.7.: Make the drawings and buy material
- 11.7. - 25.7.: Building the parts
- 25.7. - 2.7.: Program the electronics
- 2.7. - 9.7.: Evaluate and making improvements
- 9.7.: Deadline!
how will it be evaluated?
I will try to familiarize my dog with the harnest. After she will accept it I will start to train the commands beside the normal commands and will also trigger the haptic feedback motors. When she knows what the commands are for I will stop talking to her and will try to use only the vibration commands. Also I use the reward dispenser and will test how she accept the mechanism or if she is able to steel the rewards before she should get them.